Chicken Seekh Kabab is a popular Indian dish made with minced chicken, spices, and herbs. The mixture is shaped into long, thin cylindrical shapes and then grilled over charcoal or in a tandoor. The result is a delicious, flavorful and juicy kabab that is loved by many. It is usually served as a starter or appetizer at Indian restaurants, and is also a popular street food in India.
The dish originates from the Mughal cuisine and was introduced to India during the Mughal Empire. It is believed to have been inspired by Turkish kebabs and was further refined in India to suit local tastes. The name “Seekh” comes from the skewers that the kabab is traditionally cooked on, which gives it its unique shape and texture.
Chicken Seekh Kabab is a great dish for large gatherings as it can be easily made in large quantities and served as a crowd-pleasing appetizer. It is a perfect addition to any party or special occasion. The dish is also a favorite among health enthusiasts as it is high in protein and low in fat.
The dish is typically served with mint chutney and sliced onions, which complements the flavors of the kabab perfectly. It can also be served with naan bread or as a side dish with biryani or other Indian curries. Chicken Seekh Kabab is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in many ways, and is loved by people all over the world.
Overall, Chicken Seekh Kabab is a delicious and healthy dish that is perfect for any occasion. Its unique taste and texture, along with the convenience of preparation, make it a favorite among Indian food enthusiasts.
Chicken Seekh Kabab
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden skewers
- Grill or BBQ
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 16-20 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, bread crumbs, onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, green chili pepper, coriander, cumin, garam masala, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Take a small portion of the mixture and shape it around the soaked wooden skewers, making sure it's compact.
- Repeat the process with the remaining mixture.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 7-8 minutes on each side or until they are fully cooked.
- Once done, remove the skewers from the grill and serve hot with mint chutney or any other sauce of your choice.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 180
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Protein: 19g
- Sodium: 230mg
Dish Originating from:India
Mostly Eating Country/Countries:India, Pakistan, Bangladesh Cuisine: Indian, Pakistani
Categories/Course:Appetizer, Lunch, Dinner, Main Course
How to Store it?Chicken Seekh Kabab can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can it Freeze?Yes, Chicken Seekh Kabab can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
Cook it at Home or Outside or Cook both sides.Chicken Seekh Kabab can be cooked at home on a grill or BBQ.
What are other food or drink with this dish?Chicken Seekh Kabab is best served with mint chutney, sliced onions, and lemon wedges. It pairs well with any refreshing drink like iced tea, lemonade, or a cold beer.
Community Tips and Praise:
- To make the Chicken Seekh Kabab more flavorful, marinate the chicken mixture for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- To make the kababs more juicy, add a tablespoon of yogurt to the chicken mixture.
- If using a wooden skewer, make sure to soak it in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent it from burning while grilling.